The Horizon Art Department is dedicated to providing creative, process oriented experiences for students to grow in their personal craft and self expression. By utilizing The Creative Process, we focus on developing 20th century skills within our art making that reach beyond the classroom.
We offer the following courses:
- Jewelry Design & Metalsmithing
- Positive Art
- AP Art History
- AP Studio Art
By participating in our coursese, we strive for our students to reach the following goals :
- See oneself as a participant in visual art and design by experiencing, viewing or making.
- Visually and/or verbally articulate how visual art and design are a means for communication.
- Practice critical and analytical skills by using academic language to discuss works of art and visual culture.
- Critique connections between visual art and historic and contemporary philosophies.
- Interpret works of art and design in the contexts of varied traditions, histories and cultures.
- Create works of visual art and design that demonstrate increasing levels of mastery in skills and techniques.
- Allow imagination, curiosity and wonder to guide inquiry and research.
- Participate in the reciprocal relationships between visual art and communities.
- Persist in the creative process and innovate from failure.
- Develop new knowledge by actively doing and making (artistic praxis), acknowledging relationships between materials, objects, ideas and lived experience.
(taken from Colorado Department of Education’s Academic Standards)