The Adams 12 Five Star School Counseling program supports the development of the whole child by advocating for academic, social/emotional, career and post-secondary needs and strives to develop life-long learners and productive citizens.
The Adams 12 Five Star School Counseling program works collaboratively with parents, community members and educators to empower every child, regardless of individual differences or obstacles, to ensure all students are prepared for meaningful, productive learning through a data-driven comprehensive K-12 school counseling program.
Students, if you would like to attend an upcoming college visit, please fill out this form
ATTENTION SOPHOMORES & JUNIORS - TAKE THE PSAT/NMSQT
On Wednesday, October 13th, Horizon High School will offer the PSAT/NMSQT exam to students. You can sign up to take the test in the Counseling Office at HHS.
TO SIGN UP, YOU MUST BRING EITHER CASH OR CHECK IN THE AMOUNT OF $25 TO THE COUNSELING OFFICE. YOU WILL NOT BE SIGNED UP WITHOUT PAYMENT. (We have limited spaces for the exam, spots will only be available for the first 175 students who sign up.) The deadline to sign up is Wednesday, October 6th. The test cost is $25.
The test will be given at the Adams 12 Educational Support Building (ESC).
*Transportation will not be provided.
The PSAT/NMSQT is the only way juniors can qualify to enter the National Merit Scholarship Program.
Benefits of taking the PSAT/NMSQT include the following:
- Customized skill based practice to increase readiness through Kahn Academy carefully crafted to improve and polish necessary academic skills;
- A personalized list of careers and potential college majors and the ability to learn about them;
- access to the College Board's interactive college and career planning website;
- an online score report, including projected SAT® score ranges, state percentiles, and the ability to sort answer explanations by difficulty and question type;
- the opportunity to see which Advanced Placement classes the student has potential to do well; and
- a dedicated SAT® study plan created by the test’s authors, including a review of results, practice questions, essays scored, and the chance to take four complete SAT®’s.
- Sophomore students will have the opportunity to take the PSAT 10 in April of 2022 at HHS. The PSAT/NMSQT test serves as only additional practice for 10th grade students, while 11th grade students may qualify to enter the National Merit Scholarship Program through this test.
- Those who sign up will receive a follow-up email with details about test day. Students should expect to arrive sometime near 7am and miss their classes for the day.
Horizon High School Seniors & Parents
Once your senior has BEEN ACCEPTED TO COLLEGE, ENLISTED IN THE MILITARY or has a SET CAREER PATH, send their senior picture to their counselor to be put on the SENIOR BOARD in the hall for the class of 2020! We want ALL seniors on the board!
Please see the presentaiton from the Financial Aid Information Presentation Below:
Finacial Aid Student Presentation
Please see the presentation that was given to students below:
Do you need a work permit?
Please print this form out and email it to Paula.R.Rhoads@adams12.org in the Counseling Office for completion.
Patty Rolision - A-Ch and 11th grade 504 students
Juana Budde - Ci-Ga and 9th grade 504 students
Angela Shields - Gb-K and 12th grade 504 students
Deanna Gussman - L-M and 10th grade 504 students
Michael Muedeking - N-Si and 12th ELL students
Anjela Schwab - Sj-Z and 9th-11th grade ELL students
Stacey Neumann - SOAR students