English Language Development (ELD) Instruction at Horizon is:
- Designed to support students in developing listening, speaking, reading and writing English.
- Delivered by certified teachers who are trained in how students acquire an additional language.
- Carefully planned to meet the language needs of each student.
- Made understandable because teachers use special techniques such as hands-on activities, visuals, demonstrations, repetition, songs, graphic organizers, gestures, drama and much more.
- Taught in such a way that students can draw on what they have learned at home in their first language. ELD values students' families and languages.
- Instruction that allows students to show that they understand in a variety of ways.
- Given in a safe environment that values each student's unique background and language.
- Making connections to the content ELLs are learning throughout their day whenever possible.