Hello Hawk Nation! While this is only my third year at Horizon High School, I have been teaching high school mathematics for 27 years. In 1993, I began my teaching career in my home state of Montana before moving to Colorado in 2001. For the past 19 years, I have been a math teacher in the Adams 12 School District. I currently live in Westminster with my husband and our 3 dogs: Ben, Cole, & Neika. When I am not in the classroom, I enjoy outdoor activities: gardening, hiking, camping, and skiing.
REMOTE LEARNING INFORMATION
As we embark on this new journey of remote learning, please know that this online format is new for all of us and is a "work in progress". Therefore, communication is key. Listed below, you will find information on the learning platform, daily expectations, how to contact me, my office hours, as well as important codes/links.
Since the District has already enrolled students in their Schoology courses, I will be using this learning platform to house & disseminate curriculum, as well as information for the 2020-2021 school year. Both students and parents should be able to access Schoology through their Infinite Campus (IC) accounts. Therefore, please be diligent about accessing the calendar in Schoology for changes/updates on daily assignments, as well as Schoology for accessing and uploading materials and resources. For more information on your course (including class codes), please click on the links above (located below my profile picture) to view your course syllabus.
- Students are required to attend classes during their scheduled class time and attendance will be taken daily. Please take time to read these helpful tips on "How to be Succesful in Online Learning".
- We will start each class with a ZOOM meeting, where students will be given information as to how the class period will be run that day. Class links to the ZOOM meetings can be found in Schoology. Please take time to read the following ZOOM Protocols.
- On any given day, we may be doing full class instruction (synchronous), break off into groups, work on self paced (asynchronous) content or assignments, and perhaps even come back together at times to check on student progress.
- All information needed to complete content and assignments will be posted in Schoology. Please reach out to me if you are experiencing technical difficulties with links and/or finding materials.
- Grades will be updated each week by Thursday and can be found by accessing Infinite Campus.
- Please feel free to text me on REMIND or email me with any questions or concerns ... especially if you are frustrated, experiencing problems with technology, or feeling overwhelmed.
Contact Info/Office Hours:
For this year, I will be communicating with students primarily through REMIND and with parents primarily via IC Messenger and email at firstname.lastname@example.org. However, parents you are welcome to also join REMIND to receive your student's classroom announcements and reminders. Please make sure you have joined my class (see codes below). When joining, please use your full name and select whether you are a student or parent. To join, please send the following message (select the code for your class period) to the number 81010:
Per 1 & 2: @randmath1
Per 4: @randblk34
Per 7 & 8: @randblk78
The best time to contact me is during my OFF hours and before 5:00 pm M-F. After 5:00 pm is my homework/family time. Therefore, I will not be available nor able to reply to texts/emails until the following work day. Here is a link to my 2020-2021 Class Schedule, as well as a downloadable (PDF) copy: 2020-21 OFFICE HOURS
Thank you in advance for your patience, understanding, hard work, and support. Please know that I am here to help, and I will do my best to provide as much support and flexibility as needed during this difficult time. And above all please remember ... we're all in this together!!! I look forward to the day when we can meet and learn again in person :)